Sunday, March 24, 2013

Courage and Stepping Up

If you read the previous update, you’re probably wondering what in the world this has to do with Esther. Well, it has to do with courage – which is what we discussed this past week.

At the end of chapter 4 we start to see Esther make her way to the king. I feel that she finally realized there would be no direct intervention in or after the three days of fasting - she in fact would become the divine intervention in the situation. Take a minute and think about what courage means to you - is it standing up to someone/something? Is it conquering a fear? Is it doing something you'd normally never do? When's the last time you were an example of courage? I'll give you my example, and it has taken me almost a year to figure out what has been going on.
I'm speaking for myself here, but I'm a chicken. Maybe not when it comes to doing things like riding roller coasters or going on adventures, but when I have to socialize with others in public, I freeze. I'm not an eloquent speaker. I'm not loud. My mountain accent tends to get in the way, and people make me nervous. If you can imagine, being the leader of a Bible study full of women (who are all older than me) TERRIFIES me. I started feeling led to do Bible studies with the women about a year ago. I put off even mentioning it until I just couldn't keep it inside any longer. I was convicted over the idea. I finally realized that nothing would happen unless I stepped up and did it myself. This wasn't a calling to Carolyn, Ann, or Mrs. Jane. God was talking to ME. Of all people, He spoke to ME. I questioned whether or not I could make a difference. After all, I was the youngest, had social anxieties, detested speaking in public, was the "newest" of the ladies in the group, and stumble over words. The Association Meeting this weekend really opened my eyes. Just as the disciples were given specific tasks, we have all been given a unique task. We have been chosen to do a job for God.
If you go over to Matthew 25 you will find a parable of the talents (starting in verse 14). The story tells of a master who was leaving his home to travel, and before going entrusted his property to his servants (property worth 8 talents). One servant receives five talents, the second two talents, and the third one talent, according to their respective abilities. Focus in on that last phrase: "according to their respective abilities". I've heard this parable over and over and never clicked with these words. Each person received an amount that they could do something with. The first two servants received more because they worked more. When the master came back to see what they had gained from the inheritance they were both able to show him that they had doubled the investment. The third servant received less because he worked less. When the master came back for his story it was different than the others. He had gotten lazy and buried the coin. He made no attempt to get any gain from his gift. When we feel called to do something, despite being scared to death, God knows what He has given us. He gives us tasks based on our abilities, just as He described in the parable. If you're willing to do more, God will more than likely do more with you. This is drilled into our heads from the time we are young until we grow older. Remember hearing "an object in motion stays in motion?" or "if you continue to exercise and eat well, your metabolism will continue to move at the correct rate."

Esther was given a task - a great task. She was to save an entire nation by standing up to her husband and planning an extremely clever couple of banquets. Before she made her decision she prayed and fasted. Remember - it was only after this that she was able to continue on with her decision. She was able to carry her plan through, and she succeeded. If you ever have any doubt, think of Donald Trump's words: "It's always better to try and fail than to have never tried at all." This is a hard lesson that I've had to learn, and just learned it in the past few days. If you feel led to do something, do it. There's probably a very good reason you are being convicted over it.
At the end of the day will God to look at your life and say: "Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." -Matthew 25:21 or will he say "I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth." Revelation 3:15-16?

No comments:

Post a Comment